So, I am starting what is most likely my hundredth attempt at creating a blog. I’ve started many blogs in the past, but can’t seem to get past the first post which is usually something like, “I got a blog! woot! woot!” Here’s to hoping I actually update this one, and keep it interesting. I get bored easily so instead of doing one of the usual standard first blog posts I just mentioned, I’m going to do one of those “25 random things about me” that was popular on Facebook like a year or two ago.
1. My name is Jill, well really, Jillian but no one ever calls me that. If I was born a boy, I’ve been told my name would have been Michael.
2. I am 23 ½ years old.
3. For my 21st birthday I went skydiving! I had a blast, and it’s something I definitely want to do again. I’ve also done parasailing, zipling, and shot a gun. Next on the bucket list is finding a penpail in jail and bungee jumping (dead serious).
4. Cruises are the best vacations. I refuse to travel by land anymore.
5. When I’m bored I like to look up stranger’s wedding proposals on Youtube. My favorite ones are the videos where the guy cries and gets so choked up he can’t even talk. I know this is probably setting me up to be forever alone with 2384392 cats.
6. Single handedly, I have kept all frozen yogurt shops in business. There definitely needs to be a 12 step program for it. I also used to work at one and boy, do I have stories from it ;)
7. Speaking of food, I’m the world’s pickiest eater…I love macaroni and cheese, pizza, chicken fingers, buffalo wings, tacos, ice cream, ya know everything from the main food groups.
8. Reading Craig’s List Missed Connections has become one of my favorites past times. I love reading shit like, “you looked so sexy reaching for the Eggo Waffles at Shop Rite this morning. Hope to see you again.”
9. Elizabeth Berkley, yes, Jessie Spano from Saved by the Bell has been in my house. My life was filmed for an entire week for a MTV pilot that never aired which in retrospect I am happy about b/c I’m sure there was a lot of embarrassing footage of me haha. But hands down, most memorable experience of my life. I had limos picking me up from my house, strangers taking my picture in Time Square…so crazy lol.
10. I volunteered at a suicide hotline for about a year. It was a very rewarding experience and I really learned a lot. The conversations and the people I’ve helped will always stay with me. My favorite callers to talk to were always the teenagers and in the future I plan to volunteer strictly at a teen hotline.
11. It’s not something I’m proud of but I am a reality TV show junkie. You name it, I watch it and get into it like, really into it. The line stops at Honey Boo Boo Child and the Housewives. It’s a very narrow line though considering I enjoy Jersey Shore ;)
12. I love that temporary, natural high you get after you’ve seen a really good concert. Also, a bad day can turn into a good day for me just by listening to my ipod. Everyone says it, but I would die without music.
13. Another thing everyone always says but I believe is genuinely true for me is that my family & friends mean the WORLD to me. I’m extremely close with my family and had the same tight knit group of friends since elementary school. Can’t believe this is only number 13 on the list, it really should go before my name.
14. Hate is a strong word. I hate soda. I don’t think I’ve ever even tried Pepsi and I’ve probably have had Coca Cola like five times in my entire life (all times mixed with rum lol). Not an exaggeration. Soda is probably the only unhealthy thing I don’t love.
15. A memoir I’ve written made it to the last round to be considered for publication in the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. I was really bummed it didn’t make it but still cool.
16. My social skills are lacking so much so that it would be comical for others to watch. I am the most awkward person ever. I feel like it’s now a trend to say you’re awkward but again, this is true for me. I would ordinarily agree that 10 times out of 10, I’m the shyest person in the room, but I’m THAT shy I normally am not even in the hypothetical room lol. I love people, it just takes me a long time to open up. When I do open up, there is no stopping me. I will divulge my whole life story. I am a big fan of the 2am heart to heart chat that takes place among best friends in a parked car in someone’s drive way.
17. I was a psychology major in college, and now I’m in graduate school for School Counseling. I really want to do something that prevents cyberbullying. I once wrote a letter to Dr. Phil about it and got to meet him because of it.
18. I guess you can say I like being in the audience for talk shows. I’ve been to the View, Tyra Banks, Wendy Williams, Dr. Phil, and Maury. Yes, I’ve heard gems such as, “our lie detector test shows you have been seducing men with your pineapple upside down cake!”, and “you are the father!” in person. It was awesome.
19. The best compliment I’ve ever received came from a stranger who told me, “You remind me of someone I love.”
20. Every Sunday I have to read Postsecret.
21. I have the most diverse group of friends. At my 5th grade birthday party, some lady told my mother, “It looks like a meeting of the UN!”
22. Maybe this comes with the territory of having a psychology degree, but I often self diagnose myself using Web MD then get paranoid.
23. My dog, Brandy was the greatest dog to ever live.
24. I ran my first 5k this year. Small feat for most but big deal to me. Running is not something I am good at so I’m proud I did something that terrified me. I often do that too, I like the feeling of trying everything once even things I’m terrible at yet being fearless about it.
25. I’m awesome and it’s about time my life got documented for people to read!!!! This whole blog was just an excuse to brag about myself in 25 different ways. Hope you keep reading ;)